Pages

Saturday 22 October 2011

Time Out for Women

Have you ever planned something fun to do only to have everything seem to fall apart? Then it becomes this huge stress added to your life and you wonder why you ever even thought you could do it in the first place?  Over a month ago, I planned on going to Time Out for Women with some family and friends. I was SO excited because I have never gone and always wanted to go.  PC was supposed to take the Friday off of work and no worries.  Then, of course, he gets told he'll be part of an exercise and will have to work every day from 1-9 pm, including weekends. Now my fun weekend has turned into a mess.  I was angry at first.  Bitter. I know I took it out on him, even though it was undeserved.  I wanted him to fix it!  But what do you do? Well, you can do what I do and just ignore it.  Well, guess what? The problem doesn't seem to go away when you ignore it? Why is this?  If I can just pretend that it isn't there, can't it just become reality?  No, sadly, the answer is no.  Last weekend I was so sad and depressed about it, I didn't want to do anything. I tried to go running Monday morning to relieve stress, but I was seriously so sad, I couldn't run. I made it a mile and then turned around and went home. I was done. I'd had enough! 
So then I decided I had to take action.  I found a babysitter! First one I called actually, and my first choice. So why was that such a big deal?  Well, I think the answer lies in the fact that Satan does NOT want women to know that they are of great worth, play a vital and important role in their families, and can become who they are meant to be.  That was the message most profoundly relayed to me this weekend at TOFW in Richmond. I enjoyed every minute of it. The Holy Ghost was strong and I was recharged.  Not only that, but I was able to see my best friend in the whole world (other than PC, of course, he's my best BEST friend!) which would have made the whole trip worth it just for that.
The presenters were amazing though. As I just quickly glanced over what I wrote above, I remember one of the speakers saying that our trials can make us bitter or better.  I'm not so sure I handled this little "trial" to attend very well.  Hopefully I have learned to put my trust in my Savior, Jesus Christ, and next time try to allow for some more faith and allow myself to become better rather than bitter.  Another one of my favorite quotes from this workshop was "She who is too busy to pray is busier than the Lord wants her to be."  And one last one: "We become what we want to be by being what we want to become."  I have so many great examples of how to be an amazing woman, mother, friend, daughter, etc.  I have been truly blessed to have known some very special people.  It helps me to know what kind of woman I want to become.

2 comments:

  1. My very first thought when I read that first paragraph, although I already knew some of the problems, was that when the whole world seems to be fighting against you like that to attend a spiritual event, it's even more critical that you go! 'Cause in my opinion, it's Satan trying to stop/discourage something wonderful that's about to happen.

    You know, like how every Sunday morning, our households seem to fall apart? We fight, we argue, we have tears, we can't find shoes or scriptures, we battle hair and clothing... (not that I would know from personal experience or anything!) I know that's Satan trying to get me to just give up and not go!

    I am so glad you were able to get things to work out! And that you overcame him. And that you had such an incredible weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad I didn't get to go to Richmond! We were celebrating Thomas' birthday. I heard it was amazing though. So glad you got to go. I love TOFW!

    ReplyDelete