Pages

Monday 3 October 2011

Apple Butter Weekend

On Friday, we went down to Grandma and Grandpa's house to make apple butter.  I had taken a bushel of apples back with me and made them into sauce earlier in the month. They had the kettle going and we added our sauce to the mix. PC and Tink took turns stirring.  Apple butter making is done a lot in West Virginia over a big open kettle outside.  I remember doing it at church when I was younger, and also going on a "trip" to the vocational school across the street to stir the apple butter when I was in elementary school.  I have missed having apple butter for several years.  Tink remembers it and loves it, so she was happy to be a part of it too. (And she had a peanut butter/apple butter sandwich for lunch today.)   Not all of my siblings were able to make it, but we did make quite a bit. Each family took home 14 quarts! So excited!
On Saturday morning, we celebrated my niece's sixteenth birthday. She is the oldest grandchild on my side of the family.  Crazy to think she is 16 now!  She wanted PC next to her all day, so he obliged for the most part.
In between General Conference sessions, my older brother had set up a trip to the fish hatchery in town.  So we took the kids down and saw over 150,000 newly hatched trout.  The golden trout was created in this fish hatchery.  They stock all the fish in WV.  Bucko really enjoyed it.  They were even able to feed them.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! It looks like so much fun! How did the Apple Butter taste! For some reason apple butter reminds me of the mountains! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete