Pages

Monday 24 October 2022

Pi Oso Oso (Busy Bee)







 Bula vinaka everyone! It's been a crazy past couple weeks and unfortunately I wasn't able to get my email out last week, sorry about that! But I am doing well and the work here continues to go strong.


I'd like to share something that has been very prominent during my personal studies recently; that the Second Coming is getting VERY close! And time is a very weird thing, I can't believe that I've been in Fiji for almost a whole month now. And even if that weren't the case, there is never a better time to act than now. I know many of you might be thinking of something that you feel like you should do, so I'm encouraging you to do it! As long as it's safe and legal, preferably. Our bodies are amazing gifts and each day presents a new chance for us to improve, and I promise if you take a leap of faith and strive to better yourself you'll be very very happy! Of course God is already happy with you but He also loves it when you improve.

I've been teaching an insane amount of people, Fiji really has one of the best communities in the world. When a young man has a close relationship with an older man, they call them 'uncle'. I now have about three new uncles, one being my landlord.

Random Stuff
- boat rides across Fijian rivers are insanely fun, the trees grow diagonally so there's still a bunch of shade over you and sometimes the river gets so narrow you can jump to the shore on either side of you
- fijian clothes are the best, they always have some cool pattern or picture on them. You can see my new favorite shirt in the pictures, the Fiji Independance jersey
- it isn't just birthdays that people go crazy for here. Literally every holiday is celebrated like Christmas. Not only that, but celebrations last throughout the week instead of just a single day. Fireworks every single night, lights everywhere, sales, all that jazz
- kids are so funny here, they're so reckless and they just have crazy ideas all the time. One day we saw a group of kids throwing lighted fire crackers at each other and trying to catch them with their hats. I met a little boy who's favorite thing to do is spear eels in a creek near his house. I saw a kid who couldn't have been older than ten climbing a thirty-foot coconut tree, and he was already halfway up when I spotted him. We met some boys who made a giant mud slide down a hill during a storm
- umbrellas really just keep my hair dry. It might as well rain horizontally here
- the word for moon, vula, is also the word for month. Pretty sure it's because of the moon phases and stuff throughout the month
- the term 'Fiji Time' is very real. Everyone is relaxed and slow and usually late. I have to actively slow down my walking pace if I'm walking with a Fijian. It also doesn't help that they're most often a lot shorter than me
- they call any liquid that you drink and isn't water 'tea' or 'juice'. No soda, pop, milk, smoothie, lemonade, anything. Only tea and juice no matter what
-there is a juice company here called Juss (pronounced like juice)
- Fijian's equivalent to Nike is called Qaqa, which means win, overcome, succeed, etc. On the other hand, Nike was the Greek God of Success so I like how there seems to be an international pattern for sport companies

Pictures
- changed a tire after it rained, so plenty of mud
- Burger King while my comp and ZL get haircuts
- cool flag
- pretty butterfly
- pretty sunset
- me and comp at the temple
- Zone Leader after haircuts

No comments:

Post a Comment