Pages

Friday 12 January 2018

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve was on a Sunday this year, and I was asked to speak in Sacrament again. This is the second year in a row as I spoke on Christmas last year as well. I joked with the bishopric that I am now the official Christmas speaker. And if you missed it, well, I have it all typed up so I guess I'll just share it here:


Peace on earth, good will towards men. At Christmastime, we are often more focused on how we can find peace on earth. Even in 1914, amidst WWI, opposing sides stopped fighting and sang Christmas carols together and even played soccer. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, is known as the Prince of Peace. But peace isn’t only about a time when there is no war. Personal peace is an even more prized possession. Inner peace can help us navigate through all the storms of life.

Bishop W. Christopher Waddell said, “Peace of mind, peace of conscience, and peace of heart are not determined by our ability to avoid trials, sorrow, or heartache. Despite our sincere pleas, not every storm will change course, not every infirmity will be healed, and we may not fully understand every doctrine, principle, or practice taught by prophets, seers, and revelators. Nevertheless, we have been promised peace—with a condition attached.
In the Gospel of John, the Savior taught that despite the tribulations of life, we can be of good cheer, we can be of good hope, and we need not fear, because He declared, “In me ye might have peace.” Faith in Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice is, and forever will be, the first principle of the gospel and the foundation upon which our hope for “peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come” is built.
In our search for peace amidst the daily challenges of life, we’ve been given a simple pattern to keep our thoughts focused on the Savior, who said: “Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me. I am Jesus Christ.”
Learn, listen, and walk—three steps with a promise." (“A Pattern for Peace”)

Ever since this scripture was announced to be the YM/YW mutual theme for 2018, I have been studying it in more depth. How can we learn of Him? How can we really listen to His words? How can I walk in the meekness of His Spirit? I have broken up the word PEACE to help me remember how I can do these things better.

PRAY   D&C 19:38 Pray always, and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall be your blessing—yea, even more than if you should obtain treasures of earth and corruptibleness to the extent thereof.
Elder Richard G. Scott said, “Prayer is most effective when we strive to be clean and obedient, with worthy motives, and are willing to do what He asks. Humble, trusting prayer brings direction and peace.” (“Using the Supernal Gift of Prayer) Feeling peace before getting married/going to the temple

ENABLING POWER OF THE ATONEMENT Enabling power accessed by faith; cut off by fear and doubt. This enabling power is also known as grace and the Bible Dictionary teaches that it is what “allows men and women to lay hold on eternal life and exaltation after they have expended their own best efforts” (p. 697). I love the quote that says, “Pray as if everything depends on God. Work as if everything depends on you.”
Elder Bednar counsels, “As you and I come to understand and employ the enabling power of the Atonement in our personal lives, we will pray and seek for strength to change our circumstances rather than praying for our circumstances to be changed. We will become agents who act rather than objects that are acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:14)." (The Atonement and the Journey of Mortality)

ACT in faith Elder Scott teaches us to, “Remember our Savior is the Prince of Peace. Peace in this mortal life comes from His atoning sacrifice. When we are consistently praying morning and night, studying our scriptures daily, having weekly family home evening, and attending the temple regularly, we are actively responding to His invitation to “come unto Him.” The more we develop these habits, the more anxious is Satan to harm us but the less is his ability to do so. Through the use of these tools, we exercise our agency to accept the full gifts of His atoning sacrifice." (Make the Exercise of Faith Your First Priority by)

COMFORTER, President Eyring said, “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:26–27). Your defense against Satan’s attacks is to have the Holy Ghost as your companion. “The Spirit will speak peace to your soul.” (My Peace I Leave with You) Hurricane while in MD by myself with the kids. Storm all around and scared, but asked for peace and found it.

ENDURE well Elder Quintin L. Cook taught, “We all long for peace. Peace is not just safety or lack of war, violence, conflict, and contention. Peace comes from knowing that the Savior knows who we are and knows that we have faith in Him, love Him, and keep His commandments, even and especially amid life’s devastating trials and tragedies. The Lord’s answer to the Prophet Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail brings solace to the heart:
“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
“And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high.”19
Remember, “God is not the author of confusion, but [the author] of peace.” (Personal Peace: The Reward of Righteousness)

The theme song for the youth came out a few weeks ago and I like to leave you with these comforting lyrics of the chorus:
“He gives us hope, when hops is gone. He gives us strength when we can’t go on. He gives us shelter in the storms of life. When there’s no peace on earth, there is peace in Christ.”
I know as we strive to learn more of Him, study and listen to His words, and walk in the meekness of His spirit, we can find peace amidst all that we face in this life. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.



We invited two families from our ward over on Christmas Eve, along with Nana, Papa, Johnny, and Mark. We had our traditional taco salad followed by acting out the Nativity.

It was a great day to celebrate the birth of our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment