Pages

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Missionary Parents

My parents are now in Oregon. They had a week long training at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT.  We have received a few emails and they have had some amazing stories to tell already. I wanted to have them here so we would never forget.
This is from August 9:
We are now suppose to be trained!!!! Guess we are since we have been taught again that it is the spirit that does all the work and our job is to be in tune, and listen and open our mouths.   We had some really good experiences there. Linda will have to write, because she was much more excited than I (go figure).   She even sang in the MTC choir  Tuesday night at the devotional. We have had to teach two investigators , and they were very good with their challenges. Linda was convince that one was really a nonmember. He was a retired policeman and had seen over 40 of his fellow police officer killed in the line of duty . He was not sure that there was a loving Father when He lets things like that happen and many of the killers go unpunished.   Thanks to my great companion who has taught those principles much more than me, she was able to answer his questions very well and he told our instructor that we were really good(we know who was really good, mom saved me for sure).  But the one on Thursday was much tougher and we could not get her to agree on much of anything.  If we answered one question, she went to another just as fast.  She was well trained in giving us a hard time.   So I guess some you win and some you lose(or it may take a little longer)
   We had 5 couples in our district with someone by the name of Kimble being the district leader. It was a tough assignment, all I had to do was call on someone to give the prayers.  They were all very well trained in the gospel and will do so much good..     They have some great stories. love, Dad

Hi Dear Children!
 We have made it for a week, and what a wonderful 5 days we had at the MTC! Steve gave you a great overview but we had so many great experiences that it is hard to get them all in one note…But I'll send a couple highlights.
 We stayed at the Marriott Hotel in Provo, and as I stood at the check-in counter (the church paid our bill), I struck up a conversation with the Elder standing beside me. He said he is going to Buena Vista,  VA to SVU on a CES mission. I told him he would love it, and he said he had served
in WV when he was a young man. I asked him casually where he had served and he said in Fairmont and Morgantown. I then asked him when, and he said it was in 1968. By then, I realized who he was, and said,  "Elder Jenkins, my name, (as I pointed to my name tag), is Linda GOLDEN Kimble!  He started to cry and said, " I remember you! You were our Golden contact!" He had been in Morgantown two months, and he, along with his companion, taught me the first discussions that I had at Towers dorm. He remembered that and that Sister Kaye Wallace had called them to tell them about my phone call about wanting to find a ride to the church. They had come right over to Towers and that was when I took my best friend down to meet them with me…Anyway, every time I saw Elder Jenkins and his wife this week, he got really teary eyed. He is a professor at Snow College and is a stake patriarch and former stake president.  It was like such a tender mercy to run into him beginning his mission at the same time we were.  I told him of my 6 children, 24 grandchildren, etc. and he was just so excited that he called his daughter who had been abandoned by her husband, recently, leaving her with 5 kids, and had begged them not to go on a mission. After telling her our story she said she thought the Lord must have wanted them to go….Lots of other miracles like this, but I 'll have to write later.  Much love, MOM

Here is another picture of my parents with Elder and Sister Jenkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment