Pages

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Charity....never faileth

What an amazing week I've had!  Two Sundays ago, my friend, Jen, taught the lesson in Relief Society. She did an amazing job that kept me and, I think, every other woman in that class thinking all week!  She talked about service and how when we serve others, we become united. She challenged us all to do service for others.  I thought for sure I could do something for someone!  I have a good friend whose husband is deployed and she is struggling with just all the crazy things that life brings when your husband is gone and she has a full time job and six kids, one of which is handicapped.  I kept trying to figure out how to help more but kept coming up blank. So I had a prompting to just write her a letter. Nothing big, just write. So I did and I told her how amazing she is, because she is one of those people who inspires me to be better. And I told her I'm here for her and understand a bit of what she is going through. She later came and gave me a sweet letter in return and told me how much it meant to her. I still didn't feel like I did much, but remember that doing service makes you feel more united?  Yeah, yes it does. For sure.
So my measly little "service" wasn't all the service I experienced this week though. Monday, while we were at the pool for Tink's swim practice, another friend said, "would it be ok if I bring you dinner tonight?  How about a half hour after we get home?"  Wow!  Great food that we all gobbled up!  I had been stressing out about getting everything organized and ready for the Super Saturday next month, so really feeding my family was at the back of my mind. We probably would have had cereal for dinner. The next day I was still stressing. Luckily, I got some info on Monday that helped and Tuesday, another friend texted and said she knew how stressed I was, so she was bringing me pizza for dinner!  Wednesday we had book club here and that was awesome.  I made scones!  Miss those!  Then Thursday we had some friends over for taco salad. Yum. It ended up just being an awesome week. Friday we went to the Air Force Academy family camp to spend the day with some extended family out there. We didn't camp and it started pouring in the late afternoon so we left earlier than planned, but had a great time. We set up the table displaying all the crafts for super Saturday on Saturday night and on Sunday, I felt such a weight lifted off my shoulders. And I don't think it was just because the crafts were ready, but also because I felt uplifted by The Lord and all my friends.
I've been listening to Sheri Dew's book, If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't be so Hard.  I just listened to a chapter about charity and how charity is not an act or a feeling, but it is who a person is. It's all encompassing. When we pray for charity we are praying for our very nature to change. Charity is the pure love of Christ. As we become more like him, our very natures are changed. I have a long way to go, but oh what happiness it brings when you can feel that love all around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment