Pages

Saturday 3 August 2013

ER Visit

We had a late and crazy night last night.  Baby Girl took a little power nap around 6 pm last night.  She woke up and seemed a bit leththargic. When I picked her up, she was burning up and breathing fast. I took her temporal termperature and it was 101, so I ran and grabbed a different one to take it rectally and it was 104! I called her doctor and they said to head to the ER.  Thankfully, Tink is old enough to watch the kids so I could leave right away.  I filled out a form and they took us back to triage where her temp was 105.4 and her heart rate was like 270! (Normal for her should be between 120-140.) They gave her some Tylenol right away and she fell asleep as we moved back into a room.  Then they gave her some Motrin and we went back to do chest x-rays. I have never had to have an infant get chest x-rays done before.  They sit her on this bicycle type seat and I held her arms up over her head while they closed a clear capsule looking thing around her body. I had to hold her arms up the whole time they took the x-rays. She screamed the entire time, of course.  The technician was really nice and has grandkids of her own.  She played peekaboo with her when she was done and Baby Girl was happy once again.  When we arrived back in our room, they needed a urine sample, so had to do a catheter.  Then they put an IV in her to get some blood samples.  They said her urine was cloudy right away, so they figured it was probably a urinary tract infection.  Her fever broke soon after that and we both were able to get a little sleep off and on.  It took a while for the lab results to come back.  Her white blood cell count was 22,000, which he said is double the normal range.  So she's been fighting this UTI for a while.  Then we had to wait to hear from her pediatrician to see if she wanted her to be admitted to get antibiotics through the IV or just take them orally and send us home.  Luckily, we were able to just get one set of antibiotics in the IV and go home.  We finally left at 12:40 am, five hours after we arrived.  Boy was I tired! 
Around 8:45, I tried to call Tink and see how everyone was doing.  She wasn't answering her phone. I kept calling for a half hour and never got ahold of her. I tried to call some neighbors and friends who lived close by, but no one answered.  I finally ended up calling Dan, PC's brother.  He was so wonderful and drove out and stayed with them until  I got home.  I know Tink felt a lot better having an adult there. I did too! I didn't want her to have to be in charge all night. I am so lucky to have some family close by that can help out when we need it. 
On that same note, PC's brother, Steven, helped me out several times the past two weeks. We had flooding in our basement and he helped me move things and take carpet out. He even came back later and caulked the window where the water was coming in.  So blessed and grateful for great family!

2 comments:

  1. I love that she has something stuck in her arm, and I think that is the happiest looking pic I've ever seen of her! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is her IV line with a brace wrapped around it so she wouldn't rip it out. I guess I need to get more happy pics! She is usually smiley now. :)

      Delete