Pages

Friday 5 July 2013

Independence Day

We had a nice holiday for the 4th.  I worried about keeping the kids busy and happy since most families were celebrating with their families.  All our extended family are out of town and PC is gone for work, so I wasn't sure how they would feel.  Swim lessons were rescheduled, so we didn't even have that!  We did go down to the rec center here in our subdivision for some games and face painting.  We arrived just at the beginning and there was no one there! (We heard it was packed later in the day!)  It was nice to have it all to ourselves, though!  No lines!  Bucko ended up with face painting and "tattoos" on his arms.  And of course, because Bucko did it, Goofy had to as well.  And because there weren't any lines, I ended up getting mine and Baby Girl's face painted too! 
The games were just easy, fun games, and then they gave the kids candy for participating in each. They all rocked the hula hoop.  Bucko beat everyone for endurance in hula hoop. When another few families came, he competed against them and he was still the reigning champion.  Tink is fun to watch hula hoop, because she barely moves her body, but keeps it going for a long time as well. Actually, all my kids are really good hula hoopers!  (I think I just made that word up!)  They also did water balloon toss, bean bag toss, and ring toss.  To get more people to show up, they even put up the bouncy castle, so my kids jumped on that last and still had the whole castle to themselves! 
One of the candies they got were Starburst. They had special flavors and one that Tink got was pina colada.  (She asked, "What is 'pine-a colda'?")  So to introduce my kids to pina coladas, we then went to Wal-Mart and picked up some pina colada Bicardi mix.  They all loved them! I don't think I have made those since I was a teenager at the beach.  We also picked up a shaved ice machine, but that didn't turn out as good or as fun as we had hoped.  A bit disappointed with that one.
Baby Girl and I took a nap and then when I woke up, we got a call from friends inviting us to a barbecue.  That was so nice of them, so we walked down there and had dinner with them.  It rained just a little on us on the walk home, and Minnie fell off of her scooter and got a bit scraped up, but we had a good day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment