Pages

Saturday 15 December 2012

Goofy's surgery

Goofy had surgery to have his tonsils and adenoids removed on December 5.  Tink helped him prepare a lot, telling him how everything happened when she had hers removed.  That helped a lot.  He couldn't eat anything that morning, except Jello and clear liquids.  He was hungry, but such a trooper.  He wasn't really nervous at all either.  It seemed like a long drive up to downtown Denver, but we made it there an hour earlier than we needed to be.  The good thing was, they also were able to do his surgery an hour earlier because we were there and they were also ahead of schedule! 
He made us laugh so hard in the operating room, though.  He had picked out an orange scent for his oxygen mask, but then when the anesthesiologist added more scent to it, he wanted nothing to do with it.  So she got him a new scent and he was still a bit wary.  They told him to blow up the balloon and he started breathing into the mask super fast.  It was so funny.  The laughing gas kicked in and he finally got to the point where he would lay down.  He was falling asleep fast, his eyes rolling in the back of his head, but continued to breath really, really fast. I just couldn't help laughing at my sweet, funny boy.  They told me he could be my labor coach when I deliver! 
Oh, that was another funny thing. This one nurse could not believe that I was 28 weeks pregnant. She kept going on and on and how she didn't even know I was pregnant.  I think it was just the shirt I was wearing, I don't know.  It was funny too, though.
The surgery went well. The doc said his tonsils and adenoids were huge.  He also cleaned out his ears while he was at it.  About an hour later, I went back to see Goofy and he was still very much asleep. They had tried to wake him and he moved around a little bit, but took about another half hour before we could get him fully awake.  He had a grape slushee and got to watch How to Train your Dragon on a portable dvd player while sitting up in his bed.  We had to wait another hour or so, but could finally leave.  He was doing great, though didn't want to take the prescription pain medicine they gave him.  I guess it tastes really yucky.  He threw up in the car a little after taking about an hour nap.  We picked up the other kids from Nana and had dinner with them.  Goofy ate two full bowls of oatmeal!! Poor guy had been so hungry. 
Here is a picture of all of them on my bed for storytime that night.  He looks great, doesn't he? (We are starting a new tradition of reading a Christmas book every night in December until Christmas.  We wrapped them up and we rotate who gets to pick one and unwrap it that night. It's been fun!)
I had to wake him up every four hours to give him his medicine.  The next day, he wanted to try some different medicine, so I gave him some Motrin.  He took a five hour nap that afternoon!  I was worried about him sleeping that night, but knew he needed the rest, so just let him sleep.  He woke up during dinner and came down with swollen eyes.  Bucko took one look at him and burst into tears.  It was a bit shocking, so I called the doctor to make sure it was ok.  They said it was just from all the fluids from surgery and as long as he wasn't in pain, it was fine.  So our worries were put to rest.  He was happy after we knew it was ok too.
He has done really well. There have been rough days when he is in a lot of pain and super tired, but as long as we give him the Motrin every six hours, he does fine.  As it wears off, though, he starts to hurt, even now.  His scabs should be falling off which has made the last few days a little harder for him, but he is on the mend.  He is SO much quieter at night too! He has woken up crying a few times, but sometimes I think it is from dreams.  I have only given him allergy medicine once since the surgery too! He hasn't had a runny nose at all!  I'm so glad we did the surgery. I think it has already benefitted him a lot, and I think it will be for the best for the rest of his life as well.  So proud of our little guy.  We just love him so much.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! What a trooper!! Way to go, Goofy!!

    ReplyDelete