Pages

Monday 30 May 2011

BBQ/Morningthorpe

 We had a stake BBQ today. It was a bank holiday as well as Memorial Day, so both Americans and English were off of work and school.  They had bouncy castles, but it was so packed and my kids weren't having much fun because other kids were not being very nice.  The three youngest got their faces painted and that was, by far, the highlight of the activity. Goofy was a bunny, Minnie was a dog, and Bucko was a tiger.



On the way home, I asked PC if he would mind stopping by Morninghthorpe.  It was kind of on the way home. At least it was pretty close to Norwich which is where the stake activity was taking place.  My mom's family had traced their lineage back to Norfolk County, England. I kept asking mom where and she would say, "Norfolk, England." I had to explain that I live in Norfolk, but wanted to know where they had lived in Norfolk.  Anyway, we had traced the Howes line to Morningthorpe.  I had looked it up on google and saw it was a small village, but had an old church with one of the round towers which are notable to this part of the country.  I was excited just to walk on the ground that my ancestors had lived on.  Everyone stayed in the car while I walked around the church grounds. It was very peaceful and the weather was gorgeous. I didn't see any graves marked "Howes" but it was loads of fun anyway.  It was the smallest village I have ever been in in England, though. I'm not sure if it would even be called a village actually, but I don't know if there is a name for something smaller. On the way back, though our sat nav kept directing us down tiny back roads so it did take us a lot longer to get home. But I was so glad I was able to go!


1 comment: