Pages

Friday 6 May 2011

English vs. American lingo

Well, we've lived in England for almost 3 years now and there are certain words we use in place of the ones we grew up with.  There are even more that I do not use regularly but do not want to forget, so I'm making a list of the words and their equivalent in "American."  (Never thought there was an American language before we moved here, but my kids often ask, "Do they speak English or American?" So I now think they must be two different languages.)
 English vs. American
clever--smart
rubbish--trash or lies
rubbish bin/waste basket--trash can
trolley--shopping cart
pram/pushchair--stroller
brilliant/brill--awesome, cool
mobile--cell phone
phone/ring me--call me
the loo/toilet---bathroom
nappies--diapers
gorgeous--yes, we use this word, but would you use it to describe cookies or other things?
frock--dress
highway/motorway--freeway/interstate
drop a penny--use the toilet
pavement--sidewalk
pants/knickers--underwear
trousers--pants
feeling poorly--sick
I have also noticed my kids using certain phrases now as well. For example, "I was nearly there" instead of "almost there."  "I'm going to tell off you" instead of "tell on you."
I know there are many more, but that's all I can think of for now.

2 comments:

  1. Drop a penny? I wonder how that phase developed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It comes from the fact that a lot of public toilets you have to pay for. Back in they day, it would have only cost a penny. Now you look at about 20p. Not an unusual thing for Europe. But it's a funny phrase nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete