Pages

Thursday 24 February 2011

Stormin' the Castles.....Finally

We FINALLY made it to Framlingham and Orford Castles with my sister.....and it wasn't even planned! We had planned on going to Cadbury World on Presidents Day, but when I went online to book tickets, I found they were sold out!  It is half-term break for the British schools, which I didn't know until then.  So since Cadbury was out, we decided to go closer to home and finally take her to these two lovely castles, which are free for us since we are members of English Heritage.
Framlingham is a fun castle. This is where Mary Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII, was "hiding out," so to speak, before she was proclaimed Queen in 1553. You can walk along the top of it, which is lots of fun. The kids were a bit cold, though, and since we had been there before, they pretty much ran around it and then we bought some hot chocolate.  (And boy was it hot! I burned my throat on it! Not just my tongue, which I did that too, but I sucked it in when it touched my mouth because it was so hot, and it burned my throat!  Never had that one before.) 
My sister had fun with the lawn chess game.  She and Tink are "playing."

 Orford Castle is so picturesque.  Again, since we had been there before, the kids and I ran up and down the steps.  Luckily, since it was half-term break, they had fun "trails" for the kids. There were letters hidden throughout the castle. They marked them down on their paper and then had to rearrange them to find the answer.  At Orford, we found that Henry II (that was the answer) was the king who had the castle built.
 Here we are having fun in the non-moat.  No water was ever put in it. It was basically just a big ditch to hopefully keep people/animals out. 

At the top!



We had a friend go with us, too, which was nice. He drove our van for me, which helped my arm out a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment