Pages

Friday 11 February 2011

Lavenham

There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse.
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.
I took my sister and a friend/neighbor to Lavenham today. It is less than an hour away and a fun little village in which to walk around and explore.  The crooked man poem was thought to have found inspiration from this village because of all the crooked houses.  After doing some research, I found that the reason they are crooked is because they were built using green wood and over the years the buildings became distorted, hence all the crookedness. It does make for some fun buildings!  We walked into one little shop and when you go upstairs, the floor itself is at an angle! I was so scared the kids were going to fall down!  I also found out that Jane Taylor wrote the words to Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star while living in Lavenham. AND another piece of exciting news: they filmed part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows here last year!  I don't know which part, but I thought that was awesome! I love Harry Potter, so we love finding all the different spots where different scenes were filmed.  Too bad they kept it top secret while filming!  But they would have had to, I know, or they would have a ton of crazy fans there!


"The Crooked House" which is now an art gallery. Not a good place for little fingers.

 

They loved this little door that was just their size!


This was just a fun hedge down a side street where we wanted to take our picture.

1 comment:

  1. I've told you before, but I love this! If I ever visit, you HAVE to take me there! My favorite is that crooked, orange, striped house. So cool! And so storybook-ish. LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete